21 February 2008

Pumpkin Bread

From a recipe on the Culinary Institute of America website.

I don't bake much in the way of bread, even quick breads like this. For some reason in my family bread is a guy thing. There's no particular reason for me to think this, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I needed to use up some eggs, so I went looking for something that might require them.

Ingredients

2.5 c whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp double-acting baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries, plumped (to plump cover with boiling water and rest for at least 15 minutes and drain)
1/2 c. chocolate chips
1 cup tinned pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs or egg replacer stuff, whatever.
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/4 c. buttermilk
probably some water



Methodology

1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Pour water over cranberries and set aside. Grease one 8.5 x 4.5" bread pan and one 12 cup muffin tin pan, or two bread pans or whatever you have.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.

3. In another bowl, mix cranberries, chocolate chips, pumpkin, sugar, eggs, and margarine. Mix well.

4. Add wet to dry (or dry to wet, it doesn't matter) all at once and mix together. Add buttermilk and water at this point to make it fairly batter-like. Don't overmix.

5. Put about half the batter in the muffin tins and half in the bread pan, or divide it between the two bread pans, (or eat it, I don't know. Careful about the eggs though). It will make about 2 loaves of bread or one loaf and 12 muffins.


6. Bake for 15 minutes (muffins)/50 minutes (loaf). Turn out of tins onto a clean towel and let cool. Think of someone you can pawn muffins off on, because that's a lot of muffins.


Notes


*I followed the recipe pretty precisely this time, because I was curious as to what the CIA had come up with. Conclusions: it's not quite as good, texture-wise, as the banana bread recipe my father typically makes. Next time I will try futzing with that one. It is good, though. It needed more curry powder and maybe less cranberries. I don't know. Depends on how you like cranberries. It has a nice colour, though.

*A deeper/narrower loaf pan might be nice, too.

*3/7 on the disaster scale. I brought Dan and Claire a bunch of muffins, and Daniel ate half of them right away, so they were delicious. Just not quite what I was trying for.

*I keep having these "let's make X to use up Y" things, and I inevitably wind up with something else to use up. It's kind of weird. Now I have half a tin of pumpkin to use up.

*About 130 calories/slice if you assume 20 slices (=10/loaf). If you make half of it into muffins, I can't really tell you, and I'm tired of thinking about this.

No comments: