13 March 2008

Ribollita


I took the recipe from Dan and Claire and modified it.

Ingredients
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 T. crushed garlic
  • 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 10oz package frozen spinach (thaw in microwave)
  • 1 15oz can cannellini beans
  • 4c vegetable stock (bouillon)
  • 1c water
  • basil, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper
  • bread
  • 2/3 c. orzo

Methodology

1. Chop onion. Put in pot along with olive oil and garlic. Add spices. When it turns translucent, add the tomatoes, the spinach, and the beans. Add the water and bouillon and bring to a boil.

2. Add the orzo and cook until tender.

3. Meanwhile, put bread in oven until it is stale. Drizzle with olive oil if you like.

4. Put a piece of bread in the bowl and pour soup over the top. Serve with Parmesan cheese (and, if you're me, Sri Racha sauce).

Notes

*I've been really into "one pot" meals this winter. Especially with my workout schedule, it's nice to be able to make something and then have leftovers to eat all weekend, preventing me from chewing off my arms or whatever in the time between practice and dinner. But here is the problem: when you put pasta in liquid, it absorbs the liquid.

*This is kind of obvious, because that's how pasta cooks. But as I've noted before, this doesn't stop when the cooking is done.

*So I made the soup on Monday, and then Tuesday after Karate I found that it was no longer soup but vegetable and bean stew with orzo.

*Still delicious though. Needed more spice.

*3/7 on the disaster index. Makes about 9 servings. I recommend it with focaccia, but any type of bread is probably good.

No comments: