22 March 2008

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread!
People who know me, or who read this blog a lot, know that I have a weird thing about eggs. It's not that I'm worried about the cholesterol or calories (at 70 calories per egg they're actually pretty healthy), I just don't like to keep them around. I have this weird sense that if I leave them unattended for too long, they will start to explode and fry themselves on the counter...

What I did have was overripe bananas, so I decided to make banana bread. But what to do without eggs?

Turns out it's not that hard. Recipe based on one from Dan and Claire.

Ingredients
  • 1.5c whole wheat flour
  • 1tsp baking soda
  • 1.5tsp baking powder
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1/2c brown sugar
  • 2 very ripe bananasHot and Tasty
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1 T. margarine
  • 1/3c. + 1/4c. + 1 T (about 11 T. total, or a little less than 3/4 c.) buttermilk
  • 1/4 c. nonfat yoghurt (fat free, maybe?)
  • 1tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 c. chocolate chips, or until it looks right

Methodology

0. Preheat oven to 350°.

1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chips). Set aside.

2. Mix wet ingredients (buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, margarine, yoghurt). Add bananas; mash with a fork.

3. Add wet into dry (mostly because the bowl the dry was in was Plato wanted to helpmuch larger). Mix together and don't overstir.

4. Put into a greased bread pan (5"x9" is standard, I think). It will be quite full. Bake for about 1 hr, until a tester comes out clean. Turn out of pan to cool.

Notes

*Very easy. The baking time seemed a bit lengthy (read, I don't like to wait), but it came out almost exactly at 1 hour, done perfectly.
Sean relaxes in my new (non-evil) chair
*Part of this was a bribe for Sean for helping me wrestle a chair up into my apartment. He liked it (the bread, not the chair).


*Fantastic and easy; 0/7 on the Lupton Disaster Scale.

*Make sure you check out today's comic!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Texture was great, but I recommend not using chili powder or cloves. This will come as a shock: not everything is good spicy, and banana bread is definitely one of those things. Maybe 1/8tsp clove and 1/8 nutmeg if you want added kick. Otherwise, great stuff.

Em said...

Fair enough. We are nothing here at the PretenseKitchen if not experimental.