11 November 2007

Spicy Lentils and Tomatoes

Ho-hum. Not a fortnight after coming out against the combination of lentils and tomatoes, I find myself cooking them. But as this isn't lentil stew, I think I can let it slide. In fact, I'd call this a faux lentil curry.

Ingredients:
1 c. brown lentils
1 (small) tin (2.5 c, I think) diced tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
1.25 c. mushrooms, chopped
margarine
garlic
spices (salt, pepper, curry powder, cumin, turmeric, hot pepper)

Method:
1. Put 1 c. lentils in a pan with 2 c. water and a bit of curry powder. Turn on and let it cook.

2. In a wok or other large pan, melt the margerine and the garlic. Add the mushrooms and onion and saute, adding spices until the veg are carmelized. You can add some juice from the tomatoes to deglaze the pan. When it's done, turn it off and wait for the lentils. They probably won't take long.

3. Add the lentils to the onions and mushrooms. Mix. Add the tomatoes. Cook until everything is warm. Season with curry, cumin, turmeric, etc. Serve with hot sauce and parmesan cheese.

Serves ~4, 100 calories/serving. Also has lots of protein. Yay.

Comments:
It's good. I wanted something filling and low-calorie after my day of weird eating (I went home, so wound up grazing a lot. How do you count the calories in one piece of broccoli?) Still, it's not quite curry. If I were a better person, I would make up my own curry powder instead of using the stuff that I bought pre-mixed, and I would use butter instead of margarine. Also I would probably add a bit of brown sugar. Still, I like it.

No comments: