16 November 2007

Greek Salad Pita Sandwiches

Adapted from this recipe I found on Epicurious.com:

Ingredients:
1.5 T olive oil
1 T balsamic vinegar
1.25 c. tomatoes (chopped or canned. Let's face it, this is Wisconsin in winter, canned is the only thing that's not going to taste of cardboard.)
1.25 c. diced cucumbers (this was accidental. I chopped too much.)
1 c. chopped red onion (equally accidental.)
1 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. Italian parsley. Or whatever parsley. It's parsley, who cares.
1/2 c. feta (I used reduced fat feta, which I didn't know existed. Yay.)

Methodology:
1. mix olive oil and vinegar.
2. add the veggies. mix. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. put in a pita bread and serve.

Notes:
*There was a debate (in my head) as to what kind of pita bread to get: flat is more authentic, but more calorie-heavy. Eventually I went with the pre-cut whole wheat pitas, which are 80 calories/half.

*The raw onion was really strong, and probably my least favorite thing about this. For tomorrow I'm gonna try stir frying it with some garlic before I stuff the pitas, which should help a little with the eye-watering quality it has now.

*As made above, makes about 5.5 cups. I assume 1 c = 1 serving, so a serving (with pita) is about 200 calories. It's really hard to fit that much in half a pita, though, so you could experiment with stuffing them less and having 2. That would be daring.

*If I had fresh mint and/or basil, I'd put those in.

Disaster rating: 4/7; edible, but I'm not incredibly eager to try it again. Lots of leftovers though.

ETA (17 Nov 07): stir fried leftovers with garlic. Much improved.

No comments: