07 October 2007

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm transferring some older posts over here before I shut down my other blog, because I don't want to lose them (and I like the utility of having recipes online so I can access them from other people's houses, which seems to be where I do most of my cooking.

So, this recipe was adapted from Cook's online.

1 c. margerine. Suppose butter would also work. Room temp or fridge temp, not frozen.
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
(cinnamon and nutmeg to taste)
1 1/2 c. flour
2 c. oatmeal
lots of chocolate chips. The recipe called for "12 oz. semi-sweet" but I pretty much threw in handfuls of whatever was lying about until it was about the right ratio of cookie dough to chips.

Preheat oven to 375* F. Mix everything in order (whisk is good, pastry cutter also would be useful for the initial mixing of the butter). Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet, cook for 10 minutes.

Notes: I made them rather large - scooped with a teaspoon but I couldn't really make them small, and I got 45 cookies. I cut the salt a bit because of the margerine, but in retrospect I wouldn't do that again. Use a biggish bowl if you're mixing them by hand, because it comes out to be quite a lot to mix. A mix of milk and semi-sweet chocolate is nice if you're not vegan (I will try this without eggs next time maybe). I can't think of any more notes at the moment.

They were quite tasty and well received, except by my youngest brother who claimed I had adulterated good chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal. I told him he was free to stop eating them, and he said, "Right," and kept on. I'm not giving much weight to his critique under the circumstances.

(originally posted 8/8/07)

No comments: